Onboarding new members to projects
February 5th, 5pm PST: Brigade Discussion for Community Organizers and Delivery Leads
This broadcast is hosted via Google Hangout OnAir. The recording can be viewed above.
You can view the forum discussion below and ask questions by "Replying" to this thread.
- Welcome and Intros
- What the problem is
- Some successful examples from various Brigades
- Discussion on techniques and tools
* Have a welcome session for new people. Use this to give them an overview of civic technology, share some of your history.
* Have your projects info be online where they can review them and learn more. Either a slide deck, a webpage, or using something like Code for Charlotte's Welcome repo.
* If, and only if, there is an obvious match then connect the new person to the project.
* Otherwise, have some intro projects for them to work on on their first night. Things like the Open Data Census for data researchers, Citizen Onboarding for UX people, or hack on your groups open GitHub Issues.
* Have fun, kill process.